Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Why I Decided to Become My Mother's Caregiver




No one likes to think about his or her parents getting old. We get used to seeing who brought us to life and raised us as a strong figure, almost superhuman, who will never grow old, fell sick or eventually need our help to the most simple tasks. But, it is nature, and eventually, our parents will need us, as we needed them as a child.

Dementia is a tough collection of symptoms, which unfortunately come as a result of damage to the brain. In elderly people, this tends to accompany Alzheimer’s disease, which was my mother’s case. It is not easy to see someone you love so deeply, succumb to an illness. Especially one that can completely transform your loved one into a stranger. It all started with small memory losses during the day, some confusion while carrying out familiar tasks, such as buying shampoo instead of soap. Then things began to evolve to severe situations, including some wandering and forgetting where she was.

The Difficult Diagnose

Some of my friends used to say their elderly parents were acting like little children. I remember laughing about it, and thinking my mom would never be like that. But turns out I was wrong, and this is something hard to predict. After some problematic episodes, I had to drive her against her will to the doctor and explain what was happening. She was in complete denial, which I could understand with all my heart. Some exams and tests proved what I already knew, my mom was diagnosed with early signs of Alzheimer.

Deciding to Become a Full-Time Caregiver

Family and friends suggested I should hire a caregiver or put her in elderly house care. I studied all the options and my current situation, including finances. I checked some elderly houses, but they were just too far from my home, so I couldn’t visit so often as I’d like. Hiring a home caregiver would also be a little beyond my financial situation, even with my mom’s retirement pension.
And, to be honest, deep down, I couldn’t bear the thought of leaving my mom into someone else’s responsibility. Mainly because I had the means to take care of her by myself. I had a work that allowed me to work from home, my children had enough age to handle most of their things by themselves, and my house had enough space to accommodate her needs (including a wheelchair). We also would be able to save some money with housing and caregiving, since I could handle most of it by myself.

But even though I had the means and was deeply emotionally involved, it was brutal. My mom had some tough time to get used to the new house, and we had to learn how to cope with the painful Alzheimer. My mom has always had a kind personality, by the disease sometimes would bring the worst of her. We have also made some changes in the house, such as installing alert systems, fall detection mats and having 24h emergency assistance care. I have also put both children on the charge of several things around the house, so I could have time to dedicate my time for her, my career, family and myself.

Not Everyone Can Become A Full-Time Caregiver

This is a challenging and thankless job. You might love your parents as much as you can, but sometimes it is just too much for you to handle by yourself. Contrary to belief, being your parent’s caregiver is not just about love. It is about having time, emotional stability, income and general support.

During one of my mom’s lucid moments, we have talked about her situation, the options and what would be the best. We agreed on trying to move her in with me, although she would sometimes forget about it later. But not everyone has the time and means to be a full-time caregiver, and you shouldn’t feel ashamed if you can’t. But if you decide to take care of your parents, as I did, don’t try to do it all alone. While taking care of someone else is easy to get too deep into the daily chores and forget about your own needs. Seek community support, engage your family and siblings, and have a support network for yourself.

I hope my personal experiences might shine some light into your thoughts, and believe me, you are not alone in this journey.